North Carolina Rules When It Comes To American Idol Champions
There might be something in the water in North Carolina because American Idol 2014 champion Caleb Johnson‘s win makes that three for Tar Heel State.
Caleb joins Season 3 winner Fantasia Barrino and Season 10 champion Scotty McCreery as Idol winners, making North Carolina the winningest state when it comes to American Idol. Alabama is second with two winners, Season 4’s Taylor Hicks and Season 2’s Rueben Studdard.
North Carolina is also home to Idol finalists Clay Aiken, Chris Daughtry and Kellie Pickler.
And overall, the south truly dominates among the winners. Out of 13 winners, only three aren’t from a southern state.
American Idol winners by State
- Season 1: Kelly Clarkson, Texas
- Season 2: Rueben Studdard, Alabama
- Season 3: Fantasia Barrino, North Carolina
- Season 4: Carrie Underwood, Oklahoma
- Season 5: Taylor Hicks, Alabama
- Season 6: Jordin Sparks, Arizona
- Season 7: David Cook: Missouri
- Season 8: Kris Allen, Arkansas
- Season 9: Lee DeWyze, Illinois
- Season 10: Scotty McCreery: North Carolina
- Season 11: Phillip Phillips, Georgia
- Season 12: Candice Glover, South Carolina
- Season 13: Caleb Johnson, North Carolina
Subscribe to free American Idol updates on Facebook, Twitter, RSS, & Email