American Idol 2013 Finale: A Great Winner, A Horrible Finale (Op-Ed)
From the horrible lip-syncing to Randy Jackson’s departure montage to mediocre guests, the American Idol 2013 finale was the worst I’ve ever seen.
The saving grace was the last 45 seconds or so when Candice Glover became the first female winner since Season 6’s Jordin Sparks. There were so many bad moments from the finale, the only way to really get into it is by creating a list. So that’s what I’m going to do.
The Top 5 Worst Moments from the American Idol 2013 Finale
1. Mariah’s lip-syncing. ALL of the lip-syncing was bad, but Mariah’s was the worst. It was actually embarrassing. The recording had absolutely no imperfections. I’m talking not even the sound of her catching her breath. Her lip movements were off. And she was over doing her hand and head motions to pretend she was really singing. The worst part was when she put her hand over her ear to “hit” those high squeals at the end. And to make it worse, it was PRE-TAPED. It wasn’t live. Awful. Awful. Awful.
2. The #IdolSabotage montage. First of all, nearly ALL of those guys have gone to interviews and on Twitter to claim American Idol producers manipulated the season so they’d all go home one by one. And I believe them. But to agree to that little montage makes them look ridiculous. I would have refused. And the fact that Idol even went there is ridiculous in itself. Everyone knows producers did manipulate the season to get what they wanted. Well mostly what they wanted because they didn’t get the Amber/Angie finale they wanted, but they did get a female winner. So that’s close enough, I guess.
3. The Randy Jackson goodbye montage. First of all, let me say that I’m not a Randy fan. I think he should have been out the door before Paula Abdul. But the man has spent 12 long seasons on that show and his farewell montage was a big joke. What a slap.
4. Psy performing. Stop trying to make Psy happen. Seriously. That song sounded just like “Gangham Style” only it was somehow even more annoying. Couldn’t they have afforded someone else? Pink? Celine Dion? Someone they’ve covered this season? Weak.
5. Nicki Minaj not performing. Everyone else performed, so why not Nicki? I’m not complaining, exactly, but maybe she could have replaced Psy.
Of course there were some decent moments, so instead of being a complete downer, here are those…
The Top 5 Best Moments from the American Idol 2013 Finale
1. Candice Glover wins American Idol 2013. That speaks for itself. I was rooting for Candice for a big part of the season, so I think her win is a pretty good thing. A Kree win would have been good too, though. There could be no wrong outcomes with any of the Top 3. It was a weird season, but the ending was pretty sweet.
2. Jennifer Hudson and Candice duet. Your new American Idol had a nice moment tonight with former Idol contestant and Oscar Winner JHud. Their performance of “Inseparable” was a nice break from all the bad performances and even worse lip-syncing.
3. Angie Miller Performs With Jessie J. You could tell there wasn’t a lot of rehearsal time for this one, but it was still a fun moment. Apparently Jessie J’s surprise decision to come to the finale got Angie’s performance of “You Set Me Free” cut from the show. So Jessie invited Angie to come to the UK and record a performance of the single with her.
4. Aretha Franklin. OK, it was a little weird that she was being piped in from New York, but it was no worse than Mariah’s pre-recorded suck-fest. So to have the queen of soul at the Idol finale was very nice. And she can still sing.
5. Angie Miller and Adam Lambert duet. The lack of Idol winners perfuming was apparent, but we had a nice showing of past contestants who didn’t win. Luckily for us they were Jennifer Hudson and Adam Lambert. Angie’s duet with Adam with “Titanium” was pretty solid.
What your favorite moments from the season finale?
Subscribe to free American Idol updates on Facebook, Twitter, RSS, & Email