The American Idol 2019 winner was crowned Sunday night after a three-hour finale packed with performances and drama.
In the end, it was Laine Hardy who took the American Idol title with Alejandro Aranda as the official runner-up. Madison VanDenberg finishes the season in third place.
And since this finale was all over the place with guest performances and results in the middle and at the end, this recap isn’t going to be the usual structured recap with graded performances (because what’s the point in that now that we already have the results). Instead I’m going to take a look at the Top 5 moments from the American Idol finale.
American Idol 2019 Season Finale Top 5 Moments
5. Dimitrius Graham and Adam Lambert perform “Bohemian Rhapsody.” If Dimitrius had shown that kind of talent during his time on the show he might have lasted longer. Even though the arrangement of “Bohemian Rhapsody” was choppy to accommodate time, Dimitrus was incredible.
4. Shay and Andra Day perform “Rise Up.” So many people were touched by Shay and that’s why she got a featured spot on the finale. She’s got an incredible spirit and has such a touching story. I was just so happy to see her on the finale.
3. Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon and Katy Perry perform “Unconditionally.” In my opinion Jeremiah will always be one of the most robbed Idol contestants ever. So I was happy to see him perform on the finale. And he REALLY performed, like always. He can take on anything anytime. I can’t wait to hear more from him.
2. Laine And Alejandro’s Final Performances. Both of the two finalists had pretty solid performances throughout the night, but their last two songs were particularly good. That song was my favorite of Laine’s form earlier in the season so I was happy to see him do it again and I loved the upbeat, showman twist he added to it this time. And Alejandro brought his A-game also. We have heard that one from him before during his first audition, but not like that. It was at this point I really decided I had no idea who was going to win.
1. Madison VanDenberg performs “Shallow.” It was a bit of shame that the best performance of the night was this one and then she didn’t even get to go on to the Final Two. But that’s how American Idol goes sometimes. She might not have won, but her performance was definitely the best of the night.
And now here, are some things that were terrible and should have been replaced with Maddie Poppe singing her current single instead:
- That ridiculous and terrible Montel Jordan number.
- That strange Katy Perry performance. Did she really need two performances?
- Luke Bryan singing “Every Breath You Take.”
What did you think of the American Idol finale? What were your favorite moments?