Last night on American Idol 2013, Angie Miller was surprisingly eliminated, coming in third place for Season 12. Her elimination was quite a shocker for many, but she isn’t the first one to drop jaws with their arguably untimely departures. Let’s take a look at the Top 5, which now officially includes Angie.
(Oh, and we’re not getting into people who lost at the finale. That’s a whole other ballgame)
American Idol’s Top 5 Most Shocking Eliminations
1. Chris Daughtry, Season 5. Chris was a fan-favorite, but when home in fourth place behind Elliot Yamin, Katherine McPhee and Taylor Hicks. His elimination was so shocking that it has been referred to nearly every time someone after has been surprisingly sent home. Chris’ popularity continued despite his elimination as he’s been way more successful than the Top 3 from that season combined.
2. Melinda Doolittle, Season 6. Having never been in the bottom prior to her elimination during her season, and receiving ONLY positive feedback from the judges (including Simon Cowell), Melinda’s 3rd-place finish shocked many. Jordin Sparks and Blake Lewis went on to compete in the finale, with Jordin taking the title. But many felt Melinda was the one who was going to go all the way that season.
3. Angie Miller, Season 12. Angie was the front-runner all season. Also, never being in the bottom prior to her elimination, Angie never received negative feedback, had the most social media following and continued to top polls as a fan-favorite up until the end. A whole lot of people, myself included, were convinced she’d not only make it to the finale, but win the season.
4. Tamyra Gray, Season 1. Many people were predicting a Kelly Clarkson/Tamyra Gray finale as they seemed neck-in-neck most of the season. But Tamyra somehow went out in 4th place, being beaten in votes by Nikki McKibbin who had been in the bottom every week before but one.
5. Pia Toscano, Season 10. Finishing ninth, Pia is the most shocking early elimination. She was early favored to win the show and was even ranking high in Vegas odds. But everyone was shocked when she was voted out in ninth place. Making matters worse, the judges had already used the save on Casey Abrams. Fans’ uproar (including Tom Hanks, Ashton Kutcher and Ellen DeGeneres!) over Pia’s elimination were so intense we almost thought they might bring her back.
Other shocking eliminations: Carly Smithson, Season 7 (6th place); Colton Dixon, Season 11 (7th place); Jennifer Hudson, Season 3 (7th place); Jessica Sanchez, Season 11 (7th place but Saved by the judges).
As you can see in the videos, the big difference between Angie’s elimination and most of the others from the list above is the reaction. People are shocked that Angie is eliminated, but they know the final two are worthy of being in the finale. Many of the others on this list include people screaming and booing and protesting.
Whose eliminations did you find shocking or untimely?
Hope Candice wins A I!! Such a powerful voice. Angie leaving was indeed a shocker!
When I looked at these top 5 most-shocking eliminations the biggest one for me was Melinda Doolittle. I can’t believe how, after all this time, the shock is still there. No matter when a shocking elimination happens in the top finalists, I think getting to the top three and then being eliminated has to be super difficult. So near, and yet so far! I will always remember Season 12 for the closeness of the finalists, especially the top 5 girls. Though together for only a short time, relatively speaking, they will remember this the rest of their lives. I wonder if friendships made during Idol are kept up after the season is over?
Most of Melinda’s songs become standards to beat for AI contestants. Amber’s first version of “My Funny Valentine” couldn’t hold up to Melinda’s version, but Amber upped the ante with her second performance albeit darker version of MFV just before she got eliminated. Amber should be proud that this time she is going neck to neck with Melinda’s version.
Angie was the full package. Writer, musician, and voice. She has had excellent performances. Kree should have been in 3rd place as her performance to get to the finals was not as good as Angie. Clear winner now is Candice. Can’t wonder if the voting is fixed.
Kree should be in the finals. And she should be the next American Idol…because her voice is just beautiful.
Kree also full package she is also a writer, musician and voice. She just has not had them push that she had songs on utube check them out. Kree has been performing since she was a child and has loved singing from a young age. Payed her dues to get were she is. Just saying.
I agree about Angie and think she will have a great future. Kree had a childhood success (appeared on Rosie O’Donnell’s show a few times) and also had a recording contract that went nowhere. IN fact, I believe there is a song on iTunes where she is doing a duet with a guy. You can find some very nice publicity pics of her from a few years ago when she was much slimmer.
I would not bet on a Candice win because the Country vote is still a force to be reckoned with and I think you may be in for a surprise next week.
I don’t get it, Candice has a powerful voice with flat notes
here and there but only sings one kind of music not sure what they call it…
but she has no connection to the audience hardly smiles hardly moves around and
just cause she is powerful and has a pretty voice seems to be more for church &
gospel but not all around …. Angie was the package deal all around versatile
great with people…but the judges has to beg for votes for Candice telling us
we need a doctor if we don’t, always bragging her up no matter and tearing down
the others even what they wore…endless standing ovations!!! One sided for sure…..
Angie will be top of charts like the others voted off too early!
Do take the time to listen to Candice sing It Doesn’t Matter Anymore with Jessica and Deandrea, she can sing.
And why does one have to dance around all the time to sing, you don’t see them on the radio.
I think Camdance is very gifted when it comes to music her voice is amazing and she is so humble
When you review all of Angie and Candice’s performances all together, Candice still wins hands down
Quite frankly I wasn’t surprised. The bottom two have natural talent. Angie was good. . But I got the bottom two I was rooting for!!
Angie’s elimination wasn’t shocking at all. I highly doubt the credibility and rationale of your articles and views right now.
Oh yeah, the judges’ reaction and the Twitter madness wasn’t shocking at all. I just lack all credibility, you’re right. I should just throw in the towel.
Oh yeah, the judges’ reaction and the Twitter madness weren’t shocking at all. I just lack all credibility, you’re right. I should just throw in the towel.
Angie wasn’t a shock at all. Although she never hit the bottom 3, Angie did finish below Candice and Kree at least once earlier in the season. What’s more, Kree finished below both Angie and Candice at least once and Candice finished below Angie and Kree at least once. Just looking at the past several weeks it was obvious that anything could happen, and that is what made for great television.
Funny you didn’t mention Jenifer Hudson? Elton John proclaimed “it must be racist”
I don’t think her ouster was racially based at all. During that season, three of the last 5 singers were minorities. Unfortunately, people elected to vote for the most theatrical and run-crazed singer of that bunch, Fantasia. I felt tired of listening even when she was just barely halfway through performing any of her songs. I never thought watching someone singing actually felt like doing a vigorous weightlifting exercises, so tiring.
I was thinking of having a Candice and Angie finale. America is so unpredictable when it comes to Top three. This is the time when amazing talents who deserve to be in the finale are sent home. Trace it in the past seasons: Season 6: Melinda Doolittle, Season 8: Danny Gokey, Season 10: Haley Reinhart, Season 11: Joshua Ledet
James Durbin’s elimination was also unexpected for me because he was doing very well and did very well on the night he was voted off.
When Clay Aiken didn’t win :/
Where is JHud in all this? And Angie Miller DID recieve some negative feedback
For me Chris Daughtry elimination and Hicks winning that year and Pia Toscano’s early elimination were the worst eliminations ever on AI!