Although we don’t think she managed to top Caleb Johnson, American Idol season 13 finalist Jena Irene Ascuitto scored with a strong showing on the Top 9 performances show this week.
Singing “Bring Me To Life” by Evanescence with the band, Jena Irene showed off a new look and a darker attitude on stage this week. We think it worked for her, especially combined with some of her most powerful vocals to date.
While there were a few off moments when Jena’s voice sounded a little strained, we think it was certainly a performance worthy of keeping her out of the bottom three this week.
The American Idol judges were certainly impressed. Even notoriously tough judge Harry Connick Jr. loved it and said it was “really, really song.” J-Lo was so excited, she actually dropped the f-bomb during her critique when the guys were teasing her about doing a hair flip!
Vote for Jena:
- Text 8 to 83676
- Call 1-855-4-IDOL-08 (1-855-443-6508)
- AmericanIdol.com Super Vote
>> Click to read our full recap and watch all the Top 9 performances!
Ok. I don’t know about you guys, but I think this was the best performance of the night and bought Jena a ticket to front runner status. She has been pretty good the last few weeks but this was outstanding. I’m only worried about her for three reasons.
1. The author of this post was kinda right about her voice sounding strained at times and not quite up to par with Amy Lee, but it was still great.
2. She is a wild card and no one takes the wild cards seriously. But she’s the only one in the long time who I could honestly see winning.
3. She seems to have inherited Angie Miller and Jessica Sanchez’s annoying fans from the last 2 seasons, which may turn off viewers who want to like her.
She’s still got a long way to go if she wants to beat out Caleb or Sam, but if she keeps doing what she did tonight, she should have no problem making something like top 3.