5. Nick Fradiani’s “Beautiful Life.” Nick’s song definitely gave him the boost he needed to beat Clark Beckham and since his song appeared as a sports anthem soon after, it boosted its sales. Pretty solid song.
4. Trent Harmon’s “Falling.” Yes, I love this song. Yes I love Trent Harmon. I made that clear all season. I think this is one of the best songs from all 15 seasons. I wouldn’t have minded putting it at No. 2 on this list, but at the end of the day, I’m an Idol purist.
3. Fantasia’s “I Believe.” This is by far the most emotional coronation song. Fantasia’s performance of it was so stunning that I didn’t even listen to the lyrics. I just felt the song.
2. Kelly Clarkson’s “A Moment Like This.” What makes this song special is that it was the first. And it was an actual radio hit. It is surely the No. 1 song for many, many people, but for me, there’s one just a little bit better.
1. Phillip Phillips’ “Home.” Remember when Phillip came out to this song accompanied by a drumline? Yeah. In that moment I knew there was no way Phillip was losing his season and I also knew that Phillip was going to find the success so many before him couldn’t. The song became an anthem for the 2012 Olympics.