American Idol 2014 Rush Week came to a dramatic close as we learned who America wanted in their Season 13 Top 13.
And just like the judges’ decisions earlier in the week, America threw us a few shockers.
Ryan started off the results show right away. The first person to make it into the Top 13 is my season favorite Malaya Watson. I’m very happy with that. The second person announced as a Top 13 member was Ben Briley.
Emily Piriz took the next Top 13 stool followed by Alex Preston. The fifth person called to be a part of the Top 13 was Jessica Meuse. Dexter Roberts got the next spot and he was followed by Caleb Johnson.
Majesty Rose took the next stool, leaving only two spots for America’s Top 10. Those two spots were filled by MK Nobilette and Sam Woolf.
So the most surprising slights by America were C.J. Harris and Jena Irene. Also surprising to some but not me were Spencer Lloyd and Marialle Sellars. It shouldn’t be surprising because Spencer and Marialle’s performances were way off this week. So it makes perfect sense to me.
But it’s not over for them yet. The judges asked five of the remaining 10 to perform for their three wild card spots. Below are those performance recaps.
Wild Card Performances
C.J. Harris, “Bring It On Home To Me.” I thought America would get behind C.J., but they didn’t. So I’m glad he got the chance to sing for one of the last spots. His performance was a bit shaky, but he’s got so much soul and talent, that I think it’s just fine. But Harry Connick Jr. didn’t love it. Performance Grade: B+
Jena Irene, “Unbreakable Me.” If the judges don’t keep her, they’re insane. Those were the lines I wrote in my notes while watching this episode. And I mean it still. Her performance was flawless. It’s not only an original song, but she was on the keyboard and was 100 percent comfortable on the stage and brought it. Great. Performance Grade: A+
Spencer Lloyd, “No Ordinary Girl.” I didn’t love the song. I think he should’ve performed “Say Something” from Hollywood Week, but instead he chose this weird non-singy song with only like five lyrics. Was that an original song or just one I’ve never heard? Performance Grade: C
Bria Anai, “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World.” Now that’s how you sing for your life. Not only was the song choice right, but everything about her performance was as well. Great job. Performance Grade: A+
Kristen O’Connnor, “Unconditionally.” Nope. Not Katy Perry. Not at this moment. Sing a singer’s song. NOT a manufactured studio artist. No, No. No. Performance Grade: C
Of those five wild card performances, the judges decided to put Jena Irene, Kristen O’Connor and C.J. Harris into the American Idol 2014 Top 13.
What do you think of America’s choices and the judges’ decisions?
Bria did a great job in her performance, but Kristen… not so much. I was very surprised by the judges pick of Kristen over Bria. I don’t get that choice.
Few things about tonight.
1. So Ben Briley barely even made it into the top 15 guys and now he’s in the top 5 guys. I still don’t see why the judges put him in the top 10 guys even though America had to vote him through to the top 15, but he got the chance to sing and America has spoken, so he’s in.
2. Kinda surprised Spencer wasn’t voted through. Even though his recent performances haven’t been as good as the rest of the guys, he fits the profile of all the other wgwg winners perfectly. His wild card performance wasn’t that great tho so I wasn’t surprised when the judges didn’t give him one of those spots.
3. I got the top 10 predictions down to the wire except Spencer didn’t make it and both Dexter and Ben made it as opposed to just one. I even predicted Emily making the top 10.
4. As for the wild cards, I predicted all those right too. Kristen was the strongest of the 5 in my opinion and Jena was the only one of the other 4 who’s wild card performance wasn’t criticized by the judges. As for the last spot, I would have predicted Spencer, but I saw a Youtube comment saying that Spencer went home tonight before the show was on. So knowing that the last wild-card spot had to go to a guy, that meant it had to go to CJ.
5. Honestly, everyone denying that Sam Woolf is going to win needs to wake up. I called this season for him when I first saw his audition and he’s still around. You heard it here first.
About Spencer: You’re not factoring in the new limited voting policy. They’ve shut out the maniacs that only vote for looks.
Im so glad Kristen made it!!! major star power there
there are no totally amazing standouts. the closest is caleb.
Bria Anai A+?!!!
She ruined the song!! worst cover of the song ever!!
Branden, sorry I strongly disagree with your grade of Bria Anai last night. IMHO her singing was horrible. She was all over the place with that song. Great song but terrible performance. Worst of the night.
Spencer sang better then CJ and no you can vote up to 50 times for who you want they did not do restrictions and if they did that’s cheating because people have a right to vote for who they want even if its on looks.
True, but the maniacs who gathered every device in the house, commandeer every cell phone, land line, computer etc. can’t vote 10,000Xs anymore. So, pretty boy with mediocre voice is gone, baby, gone.
Bria was terrible. Her voice was so shouty and she kept hitting bad notes. Especially in her higher range which made it hard to listen to. They we’re right by picking Kristen.