The American Idol 2015 Top 24 took to the Idol stage via Detroit last week and we saw a lot of good performances and some not-so good performances.
So now it’s time to take a look back and put together the first American Idol Season 14 Power rankings. These will be based on performance and how the public seems to be receiving them. And since they performed separately, I’ll be splitting up the guys and girls in these rankings as well.
Top 12 Girls
1. Jax. Based on her screen time, her performance and her massive social media presence, Jax is currently then to beat. She easily takes the top spot this week.
2. Tyanna Jones. I think Tyanna is probably the best singer in the competition and since her Top 24 performance was fantastic and she’s getting a good edit, No. 2 is a good place for her this week.
3. Lovey James. I’m not sure if Lovey should really go this high. But right now, I think Lovey is being pushed heavily by producers and she’s got a good look and sound, so I’m leaving her here for now.
4. Joey Cook. I don’t like Joey, at all. But the judges love her and that will help her sick around for a little while at least. America seems to like quirky performers, too, so I think we’ll be seeing her a bit longer.
5. Sarina-Joi Crowe. I think Sarina is a much better singer than anyone ranked higher than her (except for Tyanna), but I’m not sure America is responding to her as strongly as the should. I think she’ll make it past this week, but she will have to wow voters from then on.
6. Maddie Walker. Maddie has gotten a lot of airtime and there will definitely be a country singer making it far into the competition, so I think it will be her. If she doesn’t make it past this week, I’d be really surprised. I’m placing her at about middle of the pack right now.
7. Shi Scott. I don’t like Shi, but Idol producers clearly love her. She’s being pushed heavily and I think that will keep her around for a bit. At least until America tires of her one trick.
8. Adanna Duru. She had a good week last week and I think she will be making it past this week. She is getting overshadowed by others in the competition, though.
9. Loren Lott. I think Loren is beautiful and talented, but she’s just not standing out. I think she could be in trouble this week.
10. Shannon Berthiaume. I would love for Shannon to stick around and I would love to rank her higher simply because we need an edgy rocker girl in this competition. But I think she’s not going to make it past this week.
11. Alexis Gomez. Alexis is another I think should stick around and I hope I get proven wrong. But right now I think she might be heading home this week.
12. Katherine Winston. I think Katherine is probably leaving this week. She’s had just an OK showing her entire journey so far. I don’t see her getting more votes than these other girls.
The Top 12 Guys
1. Michael Simeon. There’s a certain charm to this guy that a lot of people are responding to. Add that to his great voice and all the air time he’s getting and I think he could be a contender.
2. Clark Beckham. I originally thought Michael would cancel Clark out. But last week Clark held his own and America really responded to it. I think they’ll both be making it past this week.
3. Qaasim Middleton. I think his stage presence and his overall eccentric nature is really resinating with America. He did great on our poll here and fans seem to be really into him based on some of the Tweets I’ve seen.
4. Daniel Seavey. I don’t think he’s a great singer. In fact he’s one of the worst. But as they’ve told us over and over again, he’s just really really cute. And that will work for him for awhile at least.
5. Nick Fradiani. Nick is a great performer and a great looking guy. So he’s got that going for him. He is slightly boring though. But I think there are enough positives to get him through this week and land him at about middle of the pack on this list.
6. Adam Ezegelian. I think his energy and his sense of humor has worked well for him this week. I think he’s a safe bet to make it through this week and a bit further in the competition. But I don’t see him winning American Idol Season 14.
7. Rayvon Owen. I would have placed Rayvon much higher. #2 even. Until I saw where he placed on our poll. I was surprised. I think he’ll still make it through this week, but I don’t know what’s wrong with people if they aren’t getting the awesomeness that is Rayvon.
8. Quentin Alexander. Quentin is another guy who is clearly a star. I think I should have ranked him higher as well, but at any rate, he should be in this competition.
9. Riley Bria. I’m surprised I’m putting Riley in the danger zone, but again, base on polls, he may not have done so well last week with voters.
10. Savion Wright. I hope I’m wrong about Savion. He should definitely be staying in the competition, but like Riley, it’s not looking great.
11. Mark Andrew. I think American Idol fans have seen enough of Mark Andrew types. I think he might be a season or two too late. He could be in trouble this week also.
12. Trevor Douglas. I think Trevor is a great guy and fun and cute. But his performance last week was terrible. He should and will go home this week.
I personally cannot stand Joey Cook. She’s definitely unique but, to me, not in a good way. I think weird is a better description for her. Last week she destroyed Keith’s song and while there is something to be said for taking a song and making it your own, she took that song and made it horrendous. I felt badly for Keith who had to sit there and listen to it, all the while trying to keep a smile on her face.
As for the other girls, I hope that Shannon will stick around because I think she has a ton of potential but I don’t have a good feeling about it. I’m not sure what to think about Maddie because she comes across as wishy-washy to me. Truly blah!
On the guys side, I do not care for Qaasim. He just rubs me the wrong way and he thinks he’s a gift to the world. Another one I could do without is Daniel. He’s going to stay in the competition because of his cuteness and not his talent. His voice isn’t strong and tends to crack a ton. I like Clark more than Michael for some reason. I really like Nick, Riley, Adam and Rayvon/Savion.
These rankings are nowhere CLOSE to good. What you’re basing it on is all wrong as well. This was a big waste of time to read.
How do you feel they should be ranked? Instead of just saying it’s all wrong you could share your perspective.
I’d put Loren Lottt higher and Nick Fradiani at number three. Last year I said you were way off, but this year I pretty much concur.
I think all the girls suck except for Jax.
Savion & I are friends so naturally I am biased towards him. We were texting during both shows last week. I hope he stays. Michael has a nice voice but his song choice was horrible & his performance a snorefest. The only way Daniel gets through is if the cuteness factor works. On the girls’ side, I think Shi gets cut cuz I can’t see viewers relating to her. I think her voice is interesting but her song choice wasn’t so good & I don’t think she knows who she is as an artist. If VFTW was still around then Adam would have been their clear choice.
Really cool if I are really friends with him plz tell him he’s been a favorite of mine since he auditioned last year (was totally pissed when they didn’t take him to the top 24)
U not l lol sorry
I will. We have been friends for almost a year & we text back & forth pretty frequently.
Quentin has a real shot, honestly I think he should be 1 or 2. Reminds me of Alex last year the “artist” of the group.
No way Qaasim is way better Quentin is horrible & creepy..
I disagree with the guys…I loved Trevor & think he will stick around…the ones I’m not so fond of are Quentin,Adam,Riley & Daniel
Well, these are weird rankings. I think Michael is gone for sure – he has a bland voice and he sang a bland song and from what i’ve seen, people did not respond well to his performance last week, not surprisingly.
Clark has been the frontrunner all season for the guys for his soul and charisma and from what I’ve seen, America is feeling him. Clark and Jax are definetly top 3 material.
Don’t like Riley, but he is safe with the country vote.
Adam is done, people are tired of his Tenacious D, Jack Black imitation. He would’ve made it if it is only 2 going home as there are far worse competitors, but with 4, goodbye.
As far as the girls go. Jax is awesome, I agree with Katherine, she’s bland. Shi is done for, the fact producers have been pushing her is working against her as people think there are more deserving contestants. Her performance last week didn’t help her. I am a Shi fan, but her cover of Umbrella was a bit of a wreck admittledy. Loren is a screamer, Shannon was a travesty – they’re in danger.
I’m rooting for Alexis, I thought she did well last week, but she could be in danger.
Joey is awesome, I love her, the girl knows how to sang! And she makes songs her own. America seems to be tired of her already, but for this week she is good.
Lastly, if you think Quentin should be higher than edit it and put him higher. If not, explain your reasoning for putting him at #8. Not saying you are lazy, there is a reason why i read your posts, but it does come off as lazy writing.
There are few things about idol that remain consistent….. 1 is hearing the judges start using the term “the real artist”. The judges love Quentin and the early resemblance is Adam Lambert(the real artist). There far from the same but I have a huge feeling some folks better grow or he’s top 6 with a bullet. I love Jax but the idol season moment might be her following Quentin one show and the season gets decided. Jax has market appeal the producer gotta give her a big push. If you see her in the pimp spot it won’t be an accident starting top 12.
IMO there is something off with Clark. He’s like one of those pretty faces that Hollywood tried to make into a star back in the day i.e. Tab Hunter, Fabian, Leif Garrett, etc.. There’s a weakness in his face that makes him look like he’s on the verge of tears. Not a star. JMO
I’ve been following this website for years and this is my very first post. It’s nice to be a part of the website and will contribute in the future.
I’d like to start off by saying that I’m glad you were completely off with Michael. The charm and voice? The tie and the high school ring were as cheesy as it gets.
As for the rest of the ratings, I would think that the early top tier for the guys in no particular order is: Quentin, Qassim, Clark, and Nick. Danielle is nowhere near the level that Sam Woolf was last year (weaker talent). We all know that he’s there for people to talk about. Do we really see him as an AMERICAN IDOL? Adam, Mark, and Rayvon really don’t do anything for me. Adam fails in comparison to Caleb, Mark fails to Alex Preston, and Rayvon fails to whatever R & B singer that’s been in the spotlight recently. Think of Josh Ledett, Colton Dixon, etc…those four don’t even come close. Just upset that Savion and Trevor are gone. I understand the performances were off but anyone who has been following knows that they both have talent.
Now as for the girls, I think that they are stronger than last year and might even be better overall than the guys this year. The only two that I dislike are Joey and Tyanna. Joey’s performance was as disrespectful as any that I can remember. It was a joke. Tyanna screams Majesty all over again. I honestly thought they were the worst two performances of the night.
I’d rate Jax, Sarina, Loren, Shi, Maddie, and Lovey in the upper tier with it going any direction based off of song choices and performances. I thought Alexis performed well enough to stick around but not one of my favorites. Shannon is raw but different. She just looked lost up there and made absolutely no connection with anyone in the audience. Katherine would be in the same tier as Joey and Tyanna.
By no means am I the be all end all on debates but lets put genres aside. The 10 that I put in the upper tier are truly people you can look at and say “that’s an American Idol.” Hopefully America get’s it right this year.
Remember when you put Michael first.. Lol